Student Culinary Council
The Student Culinary Council, formerly known as the Campus Living Council is a student-driven program developed by Sodexo that creates an engaged, responsive relationship between students and dining staff to help build a more fulfilling student dining experience.
Through the Student Culinary Council, Sodexo receives input from any Westmont student who has feedback about our work in the Dining Commons as well as their campus living experience. The Sodexo leadership team presents and discusses upcoming events, Dining Commons updates, and more.
How the Committee Functions:
Focused meeting topics and exclusive student activities give members an active role in defining and refining the dining program at Westmont College. They do this through four key aspects at the core of this initiative:
- Talk - Students learn about what is great about their dining program.
- Taste - Members try new and exciting dishes that showcase the focus on trending flavors.
- Learn - Members learn about food, trends, nutrition, and more.
- Share - Students can then share what they learned with others.
Why A Dining Committee?
Current dining committee and other campus programs are developed with good intention, but to often devolve into simply reacting to issues rather than serving as an incubator for responsive engagement. The SCC provides students with a positive environment where they can learn and share while helping define the student experience.
When Do We Meet?
Meetings are held once each month during the semester, typically lasting an hour. It's a great way to get connected and be involved in your dining program.
How Do I Join the Council?
To join fill out the form Here.
For more information and updates text campusliving to 82257. Contact Marketing Coordinator, Theresa Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Meeting Schedule - Fall 2020:
- Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and campus closure, the Student Culinary Council meetings have been cancelled for the semester. We plan to restart the program Spring 2021.
Because of the SCC, we have done some amazing things. We heard, and here is what we have done as a result:
- The Westmont Dining Commons has created greater variety of cereals, incorporating both Kelloggs and General Mills brand cereals.
- Ritchie's Place staff has begun collecting used coffee grounds from brewing to be composted and used in fertilizer in your own Westmont Garden!
- The Westmont Dining Commons hosted a vegan night that showcases cooking styles and dishes that are free from animal products.
- We have begun incorporating dining concepts that create a more inclusive dining commons, with offers geared toward students who have food allergies, dietary restrictions, or are looking for alternative health centered meals.
- We have incorporated more plant-based meals in the Dining Commons.